Gov. Nathan Deal and First Lady Sandra Deal recently honored ten organizations and individuals that have contributed to the state’s vitality in arts and humanities. The seventh annual governor’s awards program was presented in partnership with the Georgia Council for the Arts and Georgia Humanities.
Selected from statewide nominations, recipients of the 2018 Governor’s Awards for the Arts and Humanities are:
- Athens Ciné, Athens
- Friends of Historic Jekyll Island, Jekyll Island
- Historic Oakland Foundation, Atlanta
- Morehouse College Martin Luther King Jr. Collection, Atlanta
- National Black Arts Festival, Atlanta
- Pearl Cleage, Atlanta
- James S. Crisp, Macon
- Janice Faircloth, Thomasville
- Azira G. Hill, Atlanta
- Ellen Thompson, Dalton
The honorees received handcrafted mixed-media awards created by Amy Lansburg, a Valdosta-based folk artist.
Pictured are award winners with Gov. Nathan Deal, center, and First Lady Sandra Deal at his right.
Photo provided by Georgia Council for the Arts.